Tuesday, July 26, 2011

okra

 

A friend gave me a wonderful gift today, a bag of garden-picked okra.  If you don’t know what okra is, it looks like this.

P7260001

In the South, okra is prepared in a variety of ways such as boiled with tomatoes (too slimy for my tastes); added to gumbo and soups (again, too slimy); and my favorite, fried!  My mom makes the best fried okra, but I thought I would give it a shot.  Of course, since I have been a little Cajun-ized, I had to spice up the cornmeal a bit with some Tony’s.  If you don’t know what Tony’s is, that is a whole other subject . . .

P7260010

P7260012

P7260014

Before cooking up this crispy batch, I had been talking with my friend in NH and she was pining for some okra.  So I put aside a portion for her (which I promptly ate).  I know that’s what she would have wanted – right, Candace?

P7260016

Thanks to my friend, Mary, for sharing from her garden.

So yummy!

glenda

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm so happy that you enjoyed my portion of the okra for me. They wouldn't have lasted the trip with the beer bread, I'm sure. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried okra always makes me think of Mimi's house with the yellow and orange floor.

    ReplyDelete